Richard is Project Leader in the Davey Group. His research interests include:
- Metagenomics – especially assembly algorithms.
- Application of new sequencing technologies – such as the MinION.
- Development of bioinformatics tools.
He has been involved in the development of a number of bioinformatics tools, including:
- NanoOK (https://documentation.tgac.ac.uk/display/NANOOK/NanoOK)
- Cortex_con and MetaCortex (http://cortexassembler.sourceforge.net/)
Graduating in Physics, Richard spent 10 years working as a software engineer, before undertaking an MSc in Advanced Computing Science and a PhD in Computational Biology. His PhD thesis was entitled, "Computational approaches for the analysis and modelling of filamentous growth and branching of Steptomyces coelicolor". Following the PhD, and prior to joining EI, Richard was a postdoc at The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich, looking at novel methods for SNP detection in reference-free organisms.