International applicants

The Earlham Institute welcomes applications from those based outside of the UK. If you are considering a role, it’s important to check the eligibility criteria so you can be confident you will meet any requirements.

On your first day of employment, the Norwich Bioscience Institutes (NBI) recruitment team will carry out your ‘right to work in the UK’ check.

It is important you have everything in place prior to this to avoid any delays in starting work.

As an international applicant, you are likely to need a visa to work in the UK. The NBI recruitment team can provide you with guidance on the different visa options and application processes.

The most common routes we support are:

  • Global Talent: This visa route is for talented and promising individuals in specific sectors (including science) who wish to work in the UK. 
  • Skilled Worker: This visa route allows individuals to come to the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer. To be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa you must score a minimum number of points based on your job, as well as your personal circumstances. ·
  • Graduate visa: Applicants who have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above in the UK are able to apply for a graduate visa to stay and work, or look for work, for at least two years following their studies.

To check whether you need a visa, and which type you need, please contact the NBI recruitment team or use the UK visas and immigration services online.

Further Information

Alongside your right to work in the UK, you may need to consider the following:

  • Bank account: You will be required to open a UK bank account to receive your monthly salary. The NBI recruitment team can provide you with a confirmation of employment letter to support your application to open a bank account.
  • National Insurance number: If this is your first employment in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance number. A National Insurance number is a reference number used by HM Revenue & Customs to record exactly where you have worked and what you have earned. By law, you must have a permanent NI number once you start working. Once you arrive in the UK, you can apply for the National Insurance number online
  • Immigration Health Surcharge: You may have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your visa application. This gives you access to the National Health Service whilst you are working in the UK. 
  • Accommodation: Please contact the NBI recruitment team, or the hiring manager at the Earlham Institute, for guidance and advice on accommodation. There are many options available near to the Norwich Research Park, with good transport links for those looking to live further out of the city.


If you have any questions or would like further information on any of the above, please contact the NBI recruitment team who will be happy to help. 

The team can be reached via email at or phone on 01603 450814.